Saturday, August 28, 2010

My great grandmother took butter packets

from restaurants and would keep them in her purse and eat them later. Plain. I haven't done that yet*, but I did inherit her taste-buds for cream. Oh cream. Davis girls can drink whipping cream straight, and I'm a Davis girl.
Last night I found myself at Denny's meeting some of my new roommate's friends. I wasn't hungry and was there for the company. The person next to me ordered a hot chocolate and when the waitress asked if he wanted whipped cream on it he said no. No! That is the best part of restaurant hot chocolate! I elbowed him and whispered, "On the side!" He quickly cleared his throat and told the waitress he would like to have his cream on the side. Good. She came out a few minutes later with his hot chocolate hovering the brim of his mug and with a side dish of whipped cream that generously filled the dish and came to a peak. My delight spilled over but I cautiously tried it; careful to make sure it wasn't a cool whip or diary substitute. It was not. It was wonderful. This place does unlimited refills of Hot Chocolate and the person next to me had two more cups--each time his whipped cream was brought on the side in the same manner.By the second dish I was pretty satisfied but also like my great grandmother, I won't let something so good go to waste; thus, my roommate and I finished off the third one as well. I loved that waitress--she said she was a whipped cream girl herself and so she did it right. That she did!



*Butter in Europe is amazing. There were a few times there I ate the butter practically plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment